Building a House Checklist
When you’re building a new home, a checklist is essential to make sure that everything is in order. There are many areas to consider when building a new home, making it key for both first time and experienced home builders to create a worksheet that will guide them through the entire process. If you are looking to build your own house, use the following checklist for guidance!
Building a new house requires a lot of preparation. Organization is a top priority when it comes to planning out a new house.
- Cost Factor. New home prices usually range from $100 to $200 per square foot. You should also factor in expenses such as blinds, electrical outlets, fixtures, appliances, driveway. Be prepared for unexpected expenses.
- Time Factor. According to a 2016 Survey of Construction from the Census Bureau, the average completion time of a single-family home is 7.5 months.
- Hire the Right Contractors. Start with Licensed, Bonded and Insured contractors. Do your research on professional contractors, including designers, structural engineers, concrete contractors, specialty contractors, plumbing engineers, electricians and inspectors. Choosing the right contractors will give you better craftsmanship, reduce unexpected costs and ensure better security and safety. Obtain referrals, check references and their work, and verify licenses. You should wait until your permits and costs have been approved before you sign the contracts.
- Choose the Right Materials. There are many materials to choose from when building a new home. It’s a good idea to understand the pros and cons of each material as you decide what kind of foundation to have.
- Resale Value. Stay away from temporary trends such as whirlpool bathtubs, tiled kitchen counter tops or mirrored furnishings. Go for what will give you the most bang for your buck. Although it’s important to build your home according to your personal taste, experts suggest not to go crazy over specialty driveways, high-end plumbing features, jetted soaking tubs and swimming pools. The next buyer may not be so excited over these, and might even pull them down.
- Think Green. Incorporating green home building ideas will not only make you environmentally responsible, but it’ll save money over the long run as well. Over 80% of builders expect that by 2020, more than 16% of the homes they build will be green housing.
- Use energy efficient options. You’d protect the environment, save money with lower electric bill payments, and be more comfortable in your new home. This means thinking about everything from skylights and LED lighting to energy efficient appliances. According to a recent survey, more than 85% of Americans planning to build or buy a home within the next two years would choose one home over another based on energy efficiency.
- Electricals. You should always hire a professional electrician, as improper electrical work could cause shocks and fires. Check their references, work, and education because it’s not just your appliances and gadgets which could be at risk, but lives as well.
- Drains, Outlets and Faucets. Always hire a professional plumber to ensure all plumbing is done up to code.
A Strong Foundation is Important
The proverbial “building on a strong foundation” is literally and figuratively true. While there are a lot of things to consider when building a new home, one of the most important things is choosing the right foundation walls. A quality concrete foundation wall is often the first choice home builders make because it holds up well under pressure. It’s also extremely durable so it can last the lifetime of the home. Because new home builders only have one chance to make sure the foundation is poured right, a professional concrete pouring company is a must.
If the foundation is not poured correctly, it could easily lead to cracks in the foundation, which can create a number of issues, potentially stalling the project.
We’ve been pouring concrete for almost 20 years, making us the go-to concrete specialist in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Our #1 priority is to make sure all our customers our 100% satisfied when they hire us to pour a concrete foundation and/or foundation walls for their new home. If you want to build your own house or have any questions, please contact us for more information.
Build on a strong foundation – call 1 (605) 351-3550!